|Thursday, April 24, 2014|
About Nueces County Hospital District
The Nueces County Hospital District was established and is governed and operated pursuant to Texas Constitution, Article 9, Section 4 and Texas Health & Safety Code, Chapters 61 and 281, and other applicable laws of the State of Texas. The Hospital District is a political subdivision of the State of Texas.
State law requires each Texas County to provide funding for at least basic health care of its indigent and needy residents. In Counties where the population exceeds 190,000, those counties have the option of establishing a hospital district to address their indigent care funding obligations. In 1967, Nueces County voters exercised that option and created the Nueces County Hospital District. The Hospital District is authorized by law to levy an ad valorem tax for furnishing State-mandated medical and hospital care to the indigent; the Hospital District's annual tax rate is set by Nueces County Commissioners Court.
The Nueces County Hospital District is governed by a seven-member Board of Managers. The Board of Managers are appointed by the Nueces County Commissioners Court and serve staggered three-year terms. The Board of Managers submit the Hospital District's proposed annual tax rate and operating and capital budgets to Commissioners Court for final approval. However, all other matters of Hospital District governance belong to the Board of Managers. The Commissioners Court's authority to appoint the Board of Managers and approve the Hospital District's annual tax rate and budgets is established by Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 281.
In 1944, Memorial Hospital was constructed by Nueces County and the City of Corpus Christi on an 18.45-acre tract of land deeded to the County and City by the Baptist Foundation of Texas in 1942. The County and City jointly operated Memorial Hospital which was expanded in 1946 and 1952 to add services and beds. In 1964, a second hospital building was built on the east side of the hospital property complex and the entire hospital complex was renamed Memorial Medical Center. In 1967, after the Nueces County Hospital District was created by the voters, ownership of Memorial Medical Center was transferred from the County and City to the Hospital District as required by law. In 1975, 1982, 1989, and 1993 Memorial Medical Center was expanded, renovated, and/or re-equipped.
In 1996, Nueces County Hospital District leased Memorial Medical Center and its related neighbor care centers and medical office buildings to CHRISTUS Spohn Health System Corporation, a regional non-profit health care system. In addition to the lease, the Hospital District contracted with the Health System to provide healthcare services to the indigent residents of Nueces County. Under that agreement, the actual delivery of indigent health care was carried out by the Health System. Together, the lease and indigent care agreements redefined the Hospital District's mission and future role in addressing the healthcare needs for the indigent and needy residents of Nueces County.
Most recently, in 2012, Nueces County Hospital District entered into a new single agreement with CHRISTUS Spohn Health System Corporation to benefit the Hospital District’s provision of health care to the indigent and needy residents of Nueces County and support the Texas Health and Human Services Commission’s Medicaid Section 1115 Demonstration Waiver program implemented statewide in 2012 by the State of Texas, including the Hospital District’s role as the State-designated anchor entity for the Regional Healthcare Partnership, Region 4, formed by the State under the Waiver program. This new agreement supersedes the Hospital District's prior agreements with the Health System and enables regional health care providers, who provide indigent health care as a part of the Hospital District’s primary mission, to draw supplemental Medicaid Waiver-related funds.
Jonny F. Hipp, ScD, FACHE, Administrator/Chief Executive Officer
Last updated: April 9, 2014
555 North Carancahua St, Suite #950, Corpus Christi, TX 78401-0835|
Phone 361.808.3300 • Fax 361.808.3274 • www.nchdcc.org
© 2014 All Rights Reserved. Administration Login.